Creating Impression Points
As general guides and best practices to do on a normal basis
Helps you launch frequent faith discussions in order to fulfill the commandment to “impress them on your children” found in Deuteronomy 6:6–9
Bring this recipe card with you to guide a discussion in which your child will select the times and questions he or she wants to try as you launch parent/child faith discussions.
Be intentional, and when in a scenario found on the next page, engage your child(ren) in faith-based conversations.
Capture moments while eating together.
What to Do: After giving thanks for your meal, someone shout “High – Low?” That means everyone around the table must share the high point and low point of their day.
What to Discuss: While eating, discuss any of the following:
- What Bible story did you learn at church this past weekend?
- Name a favorite Bible character and tell his/her story.
- If God wrote a letter directly to you this week, what topic would He address and what would He say?
Bedtime – Give each other a brief blessing at bed time.
What to Do: While tucking in for bed, parent or child says “What do I love?” The other person must then guess what the person is thinking in one of the following categories:
- A fun moment they shared that day
- Something nice about the other person
- Something that person did today that they appreciate
What to Discuss: Before falling asleep, ask and answer the following:
- How did we experience God’s goodness today?
- Did we need to ask God’s forgiveness today?
- What do we want to give thanks for before falling asleep?
Drive Time – Explore God’s creativity while in the car.
What to Do: Each time you plan to take a short drive, play a game of “I spy” together—naming several things God created (a flower, a cloud, a bluebird, a cow, etc.) that you must spot before arriving to your destination.
What to Discuss: On a longer drive, discuss any of the following:
- We know that God knows our future. What do you hope He sees in your future at age (insert future ages)?
- What do you think God wants you to do this week in order to prepare for such an exciting future?
- How will you use that future experience as a way of worshiping God with your life?
Finally, be sure to put a date on the calendar to get started!
© 2008 Inkling Innovations