Couples Date Night: War Room Movie Night
As a guide for discussion during an upcoming movie night
Helps to start a meaningful conversation about the power of prayer and its impact on your marriage and family.
• Plan for a date night to watch the movie War Room (2015, rated PG). Decide whether to rent or purchase the movie.
• Pop some popcorn, and have this discussion guide ready.
Before watching the movie, consider praying together. Ask God to help you see your marriage through the lens of this film and the powerful impact prayer can have on it. Sit back, enjoy a great time watching the movie together, and be prepared for connecting in conversation afterward.
Talk through the following questions after the movie has finished. Encourage
each other to share answers.
• How would you describe your prayer life ... hot, cold or somewhere in between? Why?
• What steps can you take to move your prayer life where you want it to be?
• In the movie, they talked about fighting the wrong enemy. Read John10:10. Who is the real Enemy? How do you feel we can battle the Enemy together with prayer in our marriage? In our home? What is your greatest struggle with praying? Is it finding time to pray or knowing what to pray? Talk about some of the ways they prayed in the movie (i.e., journaling prayers, praying Scripture, praying out loud). Is there a new prayer strategy you would like to try?
• What one or two things can you start doing today to develop a more active prayer life?
• Ask yourselves: Is there a special place where we can create a “war room” in our home? What can we do together to make this happen?
• How do you think an intentional prayer strategy could impact our family? Our marriage? Work? etc.?
Commit to battle the Enemy together. Take time to ask each other what specific requests you would like to include in your prayer time. Finish by thanking God for each other and your family. Ask Him to help you grow in this area of prayer, both individually and as a couple.
Our Relationship With God
“God, we invite You into the core of our marriage. Help us love You with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. Convict us of any sin that is separating us from You. Bind us together so that nothing will come between us” (Ephesians 2:22, Matthew 22:37–39).
Guidance For Family
Father, guide our marriage and family. Help us to face the struggles of life by depending on You and leaning on each other. Lead us as we pray together, read Your Word, and seek You as we make family decisions. Give us the desire to follow Your will. Impress Your commandments on our hearts, and show us how to impress them on our family (Psalm 32:8, Proverbs 3:5–6 & 16:9).