Family Legacy Fund
God’s People Using God’s Resources to Do God’s Business
The Prestonwood Foundation, a 501(c)3 ministry of Prestonwood Baptist Church, is offering an opportunity for individuals and families to establish a generational Family Legacy of Kingdom Significance by investing in the ministries of this great church community. Donors are able to select which ministries will be blessed by their established fund. Gifts of all sizes will impact the kingdom. Donors are encouraged to grow their fund by making weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual contributions.
Why Make an Investment in a Family Legacy Fund?
- Followers of Christ should have an investment mentality as seen in the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14–30).
- God blesses us with financial resources not only to provide for ourselves and our families, but to build up His kingdom.
- We should make the most of every opportunity to make a difference for Christ.
- You can create not only an individual but a family legacy of investing in God's work here on earth.
- By making it a family initiative, you can teach children (of all ages) the fundamentals of faithful stewardship.
- Our faithfulness has present and eternal ramifications.
“They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.”
—1 Timothy 6:18–19
"If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?"
The Big Question, Especially for the Christian: What Is My Legacy?
- Short-term worldly significance vs. eternal kingdom significance
- Fulfilling God's sovereign plan of using man to do His work here on earth
- Leaving a model of faith and stewardship for your family to follow.
Having an Investment Mentality
As stated earlier, God created man to have an investment mentality as seen in the parable of the talents (Matthew 25). There are two types of investments:
- Secular worldly investments - stocks, bonds, CDs, mutual funds, real estate ...
- Eternal kingdom investments - using man to fulfill God's plan here on earth
It is important to note that there is nothing inherently wrong for a follower of Christ to make investments to prepare for his family's future, but every investor must always be concerned with his return on investment (ROI).
In our present economy, worldly investments bring a sense of uncertainty as the markets fluctuate up and down every day; whereas eternal kingdom investments always yield a fruitful return in terms of the Lord's work being done and His kingdom being glorified. A Family Legacy Fund provides an individual/family with a platform to make significant eternal kingdom investments.
“Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine.”
How Does a Family Legacy Fund Work?
Step 1: Contact the Prestonwood Foundation to set up an initial meeting at your convenience.
- Contact Ron Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 972-820-5439.
- The meeting allows the process to be reviewed and questions answered. Again, all sizes of gifts are welcome. The key is to get started today!
- Select a Prestonwood ministry or ministries to bless by your named Family Legacy Fund by signing a mutually agreed upon document protecting the donor's wishes.
Step 2: The Prestonwood Foundation pools your gift with other current Foundation invested assets.
- All Foundation assets are invested with GuideStone (the financial entity of the Southern Baptist Convention) or the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention Foundation (SBTCF).
Step 3: The Prestonwood Foundation provides the donor with an annual statement:
- Statement will provide the current Family Legacy Fund balance.
- Statement will also provide the amount that was distributed to your selected ministries, highlighting the difference you are making. All distributions are in accordance with the Prestonwood Foundation's Investment Policy.
- In addition, your PBC Contribution Statement will include any amounts given to your Family Legacy Fund.
Step 4: Your Family Legacy Fund will perpetually bless your selected ministries, literally until the day Jesus returns.
The Power of Perpetual Giving
- Kingdom significant giving extends beyond your lifetime, thus creating a legacy.
- The principle of your investment into the Family Legacy Fund will never be touched.
- The principle is invested, and only the return is distributed to the selected ministry or ministries.
- Distributions to selected ministries will far exceed the invested amount.
* Assumes a 7% Avg Annual Return with a 5% Annual Distribution. Investment returns are not guaranteed. Although the investment allocation is diversified and managed with relative conservatism and a combination of both fixed (bond) and equity (stock) positions, investments are not immune to varied effects of market volatility and economic conditions.
* Current Prestonwood membership is approximately 37,000.
If every member gave $150 towards a Named Family Legacy Fund, we would have $5.5 million
invested in Kingdom Significant Perpetual Giving.The cumulative payout to donor-directed Prestonwood ministries would be:
25 Years = $9.1 million distributed (approx.)
50 Years = $23 million distributed (approx.)
Kingdom Significant Investment Opportunities
PowerPoint Ministries Endowment
Spreading the Gospel message though the preaching of Dr. Jack Graham beyond the walls of Prestonwood in more than 78 countries including the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa, Iraq, Israel and more via television, radio and the Internet
Church Intern Program
Seminary Students Intern Endowment
- Developing the next generation of church leaders
- The cost of a single intern for one year is $19,000.
Sondra Saunders Children's Ministry Endowment
- More than 5,300 children pass through the halls of PBC on a weekly basis.
- In 2012, Vacation Bible School attracted more than 6,900 children.
PCA Sponsor-A-Child Endowment
- Prestonwood Christian Academy has the vision that every student, regardless of a family's socioeconomic situation, should have access to a Kingdom Education.
- Currently, almost one-third of all students receive tuition assistance grants totaling more than $2 million annually. The average grant approaches $6,000 per student; the average cost per student to attend Prestonwood Christian Academy is $13,500.
College, Graduate and Postgraduate Scholarships
Graham Family Endowment
- This endowment honors Dr. Jack and Deb Graham for their faithful service to our church body.
- Scholarships to students who have displayed strong Christian leadership and faithfulness
Student Summer Camp Scholarships
Generation Now Endowment
- Need-based scholarships to students attending Prestonwood summer camps
- Average cost for a student to attend one of our camps ranges from $170 to $450.
Prestonwood Sports Organization Endowment
- The mission of PSO is to use sports to reach children and families for Christ.
- On an annual basis, about 6,200 children are involved in at least one of our sports leagues or camps.
Sanctity of Life
Prestonwood Pregnancy Center Endowment
- Providing clinical services, support programs and pregnancy education to the community in a loving and caring environment where the Gospel is shared
- 100 percent of the annual operational budget ($532,000) for the Center and Sonogram Mobile Unit is through the generous support of donors.
Global & Local Missions Endowment
In accordance with Matthew 28:19–20, the Missions Ministry at Prestonwood responds to the three pillars of the Great Commission:
- Evangelism (a passion for the lost)
- Discipleship (spiritual multiplication)
- Reaching out to the poor
"... all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all."
—1 Chronicles 29:11–12